Hunter Technical Support Document
Why is the rain sensor not turning off the sprinklers?
Note: The rain sensor will only interrupt watering in Manual All Stations and automatic programming.
- Make sure the terminal jumper has been removed. Most irrigation controllers use a sensor circuit that provides terminals where the sensor wires will connect. If the controller uses a normally closed sensor circuit (most common) the terminals will be connected by a jumper clip or wire. This terminal jumper will need to be removed for the rain sensor to operate correctly.
- Some controllers come with a Rain Sensor Bypass switch. Make sure the switch is in the “Active” or “On” position.
- The Mini-Clik sensor can be adjusted to activate at different amounts of rainfall. Check the sensor to see if it is set for the appropriate rainfall amount.
- Make sure the sensor is located in an area where it is unobstructed from the rain. Overhangs, trees or anything else that may prevent rain from reaching the sensor should be avoided.
- Wiring shorts on the sensor circuit will not allow the controller to recognize an open circuit when the sensor activates. For example, if the sensor wire were stapled to the siding of the house, a staple could cut into the wire insulation and create a short across the two conductors.
- The Wireless Rain-Clik sensor relies on a radio signal from the sensor to reach a receiver at the controller. If the radio signal is obstructed, the controller may not respond to the active sensor. Make sure the sensor and receiver are installed in such a way that communication is allowed. Obstructed signals or interference problems may be resolved by moving the sensor or receiver to another location where communication is possible.
- The Wireless Rain-Clik uses an address code to prevent cross talk with other sensors or radio devices. A sensor and receiver set for different addresses will not communicate. The Wireless Rain-Clik Owners Manual contains instructions for resetting the address.
Still not finding the answers?
Hunter Technical Support experts are available to answer your question(s) about Hunter products and their usage. Simply click on the contact button below to submit an email request.